Wednesday 23 October 2013

Week 1 at The Preston MTC Completed

10/23/2013

Hello everyone! Please excuse any mistakes I make now because I only have an hour and I'm trying to split up my time wisely. So that means fast typing and keyboards I'm not used to.

Okay! So a lot has happened in just the 6 days I've been here. I arrived and met my adorable companions. There are only 6 sisters, so we're all really close. My companion in Sister Henkel, she’s from Heidelberg, Germany, it's really nice to have a native speaker to help me with my Deutsch.

But.

Here's the weird thing.

I'm the only German-learning sister here, so I am in a district with ALL elders. I don't have a companion for 70% of the day. I wouldn't really mind it, but there are so many rules to being a missionary, I was ‘called out’ at a lot when I first got here, mostly because nobody knew i didn't have a companion. When I'm not in lessons, I’m with the sisters, which means I have a companion. When she's in her classes, she’s in a threesome with Sisters Griffin and Urbani. So it's a little backwards here.  I will be the only sister the whole 6 weeks that I’m here, so I should get to know these elders really well.

I’m in the Jakob distrikt, which in the second district in the German districts. The other is Abinadi. Except it's not pronounced the way you say it in English. So I’m the only sister among 12 elders, see picture. They're all really nice and we get along really well. My Elder companions (when I’m in German classes or how-to-be-a-missionary, lessons) I’m with Elders Prows and Weston. Prows is from Texas, and Weston is from American Fork... how fun is that? I found out I went to school with his sister Rachel.

I keep finding so many ties I have to people throughout the church. It’s crazy how many people i know! Like the Elder that was serving in our ward while I was in Germany is now my German teacher. He thought I was 24... Not 18. I still don’t think he believes me.

The language is coming along well. I know a lot more than i thought i did... who knew Jr High German would get you so far? Thanks Dean;) I still have soooooo much to learn, but in the 6 days I’ve been here, I’ve progressed SO much. We’ve now taught two investigators... completely in German. The first lesson I understood like, 75% ,of was Moritz (our investigator) was saying. I was pleased, so say the least. Our second appointment with him was AWFUL. i couldn't speak, couldn't understand and there was no unity in the room. Not to mention i wanted to throttle one of my companions.. Let’s just say I’ve really learned how to love and be patient more with others here. I love him, but sometimes i can’t handle it. My other companion, elder prows, he already knows German because his mom is from here. So he's way ahead of us. He’s a real big help, though.

I’m not homesick at all. So that’s really really nice. That was the last thing i wanted to be and I haven’t cried about anything yet. I’ve been on the verge, but not actually spilled anything.

i really enjoy my teachers here.... for the most part. Bruder Wilkinson, my first teacher, really scared me at first. He served in Frankfurt and got home about a year ago. i was sure he hated me, so i barely spoke any German the first few days but he’s so much better now, beside the fact that he bags on Americans and our customs ALL THE TIME. I’m used to it. he’s fun i enjoy him a lot. My other teacher, bruder fields, served in the alpine mission. He speaks only German to us, which sounds scary, but i understand what he's saying and it helps me with my German so so much and he's so easy to talk with. He played the role of our second investigator, Danni. and that lesson was AMAZING. i used notes, but i also said a lot of things without notes. we were unified as companions and i felt so prepared to teach him. It’s such a good feeling when you do something right.

my piano playing skills have been maximized while being here. i played ALL day on Sunday. Every song in every meeting. i stumbled through the songs, but i'm better than i gave myself credit. I’ll be excellent by the time i get home. YAY!

I love it here. i never ever want to leave. It feels like the spirit is always giving me a hug; it’s always here, and it’s always so thick. i can't wait to get into the field and put all my knowledge to the test!! I'm really good at teaching in English... another thing i surprised myself with. It’s funny, i was always terrified of teaching, but the second i was faced with the challenge to teach auf Deutsch, i would do anything to teach aur englisch so when i got the chance, i knew i'd rock it. and i did. :)

We have time set apart every day to workout. So i definitely take advantage of that. we often go running on trails, or we stick to the gym. They feed everyone dessert every night. but don’t you worry... i haven't had any sweets at all :) not even the delightful candy Agnes dropped off. sorry, Agnes, not yet. I'm sure the elders and other sisters will enjoy it with me though. i don't eat bread here, and i always have fruit. There’s always a salad bar, so that's my best friend. im not gaining weight while I’m here. AND THAT’S A PROMISE.

anyway...i love you all! I miss you, but not enough to say that whole heartedly ;) i already don't want to come home in 18 fast Sundays!!

Remember, be member missionaries. the work will not progress without. our purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ through the atonement of Jesus Christ, baptism, the gift of the holy ghost, and enduring to the end... i think i got that right. I’ve got a lot to memorize here. English and in German.

i pray for everyone at least 10X a day.. no joke. i love you!


Sister Gilmour

Fun Times
Break time

Awesomeness

The Only Sister Going to Alpine Germany Mission

Work Hard, Play Hard
Last time Chloe stood in front of here was in 2004.  She's grown a foot or two:)

No comments:

Post a Comment