Tuesday 10 December 2013

Week 8: Week 2 In The Field: Doing Things Right; Daily Miracles

Wow! It’s been a wonderful week! Lots has happened!
I went on my first austausch! That’s when the Sister Training Leaders switch with the sisters in the zone and you cover their area with your comp and you with them in their area. I was with die Sister Jenks in Lahr.. it was a beautiful and quaint town! I learned a lot and I was happy it happened while I was so new. My comp got a lot out of it as well, and we got confirmation that they way we do missionary work is right and very effective. We've thought and thought, and prayed a lot about the way we do things and if it's the most effective or not.  But no, we aren't. we’re doing exactly what they want us to do. Of course, my comp has thought more about this than I have, since I've only been out 2 weeks, but I can tell that this is all happening like this so that, when its my turn to have a different comp, I will be all trained in the way Sister Smith does things. Its cool to see things turning out here. 
I've thought a lot about the kind of missionary I want to be. And sadly, I don’t have the answer, but I’m working on it. I’m getting little pieces of what and how I want to be daily, but there is still so much to learn and to become that I constantly feel like there's something missing; like I’m missing a huge thing that I should be seeing! Its so annoying! I know we’re on top of something really big, we just don’ know what yet.
We’re seeing so many miracles with the ward! Oh my gosh.. Its really incredible. We had an incredible Christmas party! I feels like they cut down half of Schwarzwald trees to decorate. The Germans KNOW Christmas…. Its really insane! We spent 8 hours decorating. It wasn't a disappointment when it was finished, that’s for sure!
We got two new investigators this week. We are working really well with Shana.  We got to go to her daughter’s piano recital on the American base. Boy was that weird.  I really like my small Europe. But it was cool to see a little slice of America for an hour or two. She’s an amazing person and I’m so glad we've got to become so close with her. Wow… talk about a miracle.
So much has happened and I've come to understand a lot, but sadly there just isn't the time to tell you all that I've come to know. But just know that I KNOW I’m here for a reason. I've got something to learn and its going to be hard, but its going to be great. If we sit and listen, we will receive the answers we spend so much time looking for. I know that life is hard, I know… I’m a missionary, but I also know that if I’m doing all that I need to be doing and I wake up tomorrow having no idea what to do, but a heart full of faith, I’ll go where I need to go. I really have no idea what I’m doing here. I still can’t speak the language!  But I’m just doing it… hoping it's what I need to be doing, knowing I’ll be blessed for it down the road. It's so comforting to know that someone is in charge of this… its so nice to know I can pray for comfort or for help at any time and that I’ll receive help. Really… this is all so incredible. I wish I could explain all the miracles I see daily. Just know that I’m happy, I’m loving it, it’s hard, and its cold ;) but it’s all good J
I love you all and I’ll speak with you in a few weeks!!!
MWAH!
Sister Gilmour xx

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your daughters thoughts on her first few weeks in the field. Her words mimic exactly what I envision the way all these kids feel as they enter the field; excitement, nerves, overwhelmed, joy, happiness, peace, faith and courage! I can't wait to follow her journey as she grows into the missionary she wants to be.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Treisha (my Sister Peterson is currently serving in Linz, Austria)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Treisha, Thank you for your comments. This is our first missionary out but my wife and I were both full time missionaries in England so we know what she's going through. These are new times however and we are so excited to see and hear how she focuses her talents and enthusiasm for the work. she's a go getter for sure and it sounds like her trainer is the perfect match for her, fun times ahead!!

    I hope our daughters meet and get a chance to work together.

    Merry Christmas.
    Brian and Julie Gilmour

    ReplyDelete