Monday 11 August 2014

Week 44 in the Field: Week 14 in Zollikofen: "...I Simply Think of My Favorite Things"‏

Okay. Just so I don't forget what I want to talk about as the highlights in this email:

-Tempel Präsentation/ andere Sachen 
-Viel ist jetzt los
-Keys zu den Elders
-Freitag, wunder tag 
-Interviews mit dem Präsidenten 

Wow. This week. Too good, too good. Way busy, but that's how I like it. I always feel better about my work when I can be busy. 

So, my companion Sis Peacock, is a little older than me, and I have SO much to learn from her. She is from Watford Ward, in London.  It's so fun. She's seriously the queen of organizing events, hence why we now have about 5 things on our plates. 5 BIG things. I love it! I'm excited to see it all happen. 

First thing that is on our plate: TEMPLE TOUR. Yes. After a year of the Sisters area being open in Zollikofen, we are FINALLY doing a tour. No one knows why it took so long, or even why the Missionaries had to organize it, but whatever. It's happening now and our first tour will be on Thursday, all in German (EEK), and then we will be giving tours the whole afternoon on Saturday during our ward BBQ. Also all in German, naturally. (EEK).   (BG: Elder Escher, RM will be there this day too:)) 

Not only do we have our touch screen presentation, but we also have a tour that takes you around the temples, tells some facts about the temple, the history of Europe at the time it was built, and so on. I'm not sure if it's anything like a Temple Square tour, but we're doing the best we can.
  • If anyone has any cool experiences with the Bern Temple, can you please send them my way? We need a few testimonials and personal stories. Merci!
We are also starting to work on a musical temple fireside. It is going to be so good!!!! Sister Peacock did it in Winterthur and it was such a success! 250 people both times. It's all been made by the missionaries here. We have some INCREDIBLY TALENTED missionaries here. It is AMAZING the things they can do. My goodness. If I ever get my hands on the trailer and the stuff, I'm sending it to you. Everyone needs to do something like this. They are now working on the 3rd lesson version. It's going to be great. I hope I get to see it one day. 

We are also working on just a musical fireside in general. The things that are going to happen in Zollikofen... everyone get ready. I really hope I'll be staying here. By the sounds of it in interviews, President intends to keep me here because "I'm needed here". All fine by me. Anything but a Golden. I'll tackle that my last 2 transfers. Maybe. :):)

We have found a few new investigators and had good lessons with them in the week. Hoping for a new investigator every week. And really working for it. I love feeling like I'm being a good missionary. I'm learning so much from her. I love it. I'm really trying to work on getting my German better, too. I feel like it's too simple still. 

Friday was a day full of miracles. We took the wrong bus, ended up meeting someone that just got done with rehab for the day. He was so nice, and really spoke with us about things. He was really cool. We didn't get his number, but we bought him closer to Christ, and hopefully every time he drives passed the Temple, he'll think of the card we gave him. Maybe he'll call. We'll just make sure to take the wrong bus again at 17.30 ;) 

Then we brought a Personal Touch to Esther cause she does so much for us and it was her daughters birthday. There's only three of them, but we had brought two extra, for whatever reason. 

She then told us that Monica, a women from Mexico who has had all the lessons when she was still there and now lived next door, might want the other two cause it was her husbands birthday and we should bring them by. So we did :)  It was so good!! The husband was so NICE! So not Swiss (he's half Argentinian, though).   It was such a good example of being in the right place at the right time... they were just about the head out, but we managed to catch them. All cause we took the wrong bus :) The Lord works in mysterious ways, that's for sure :)

Today we had interviews with President. The best one I've had on my mission. We just spoke, it wasn't rushed, and it was the first time I wasn't feeling some kind of pressure or guilt for something silly in my work. It was a major relief. He asked me about the difference between Switzerland and outside of Switzerland. Sadly, there is a difference between the work and the missionaries. And every knows it. But... it's just the culture. With only Europeans here, it's bound to develop it's own culture. Which is sad, because we Americans could really learn a lot from them, I am, and vise versa. Sadly, this is the only way the Lord can get missionaries in Switzerland right now. But we have a lot of work to do, let's put it like that. I've been shocked a few times by things here. But.. I'm here for a reason. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky few that gets to learn the balance between Americans and Europeans. Mmmmmmm.

He also showed me our overall mission numbers. Oh nein. Nicht gut. We are about 1,000+ lessons short of our weekly goals as a mission. Ugh. So much to do. We've all gotta be better with that. It's hard if we aren't finding anyone. We ARE teaching, but a lot of the time we can't count the numbers. So that makes it hard. But I did see that we need to be doing a lot better. 

He also just made me feel... good. Like it was okay that I wasn't perfect and that I could be doing so much more, but that he was proud of me anyway. So Christ-like. That's something that I've really learned here: 

God and the Savior really love me no matter what. We are the sum of our parts wherever we at exactly this moment. All the good, all the bad. But everything that is happening is part of God's grand plan, and these moments are divinely planned. We must learn. Even when we are in the process of making mistakes, that is where we were supposed to be at the time and we just need to exercise our agency righteously and choose the right things to get ourselves out of things. 

Ah. So much to learn.

Speaking of that. This weeks study topic: the Tribes of Israel, Scattering/ gathering of Israel, and all that stuff. I'M SO LOST AND CONFUSED. It's so much and I don't get it. I think I need to give up with these chapters in 3 Nephi in German cause... I'm not getting anything. One day. One day I'll be pro. 

It sounds like you all had a really good week. The date up the canyon sounds like a blast! It'll be fun to be watching dad cross the Ultimate Challenge, Lotaja and another full Ironman triathlon finish line next year ;) You're a stud for wanting to do that. I couldn't. I'll be as cool as my parents one day. One day. Good thing I've got eternity to reach perfection, gel? ;)

The church ist immer noch wahr und ich kann nichts dagegen sagen. So ist es. 

Oh. And I bought the Swiss shirt you all asked for. The mirror is really dirty, no one knows how, but it is. The picture is not the best, but you'll see it at my Homecoming ;) Dad you need to wear your kilt now!:)


NOW FOR THE FUNNY BITS:

HA! We had a few good and funny times this week. 

The first one was on Tuesday or something. We gave the Elders our keys to the church, and they gave us theirs because they have the key to the computers on theirs and we were going to be needing them the next day. 

So, as we were on our way home that night (we were already coming in at 9.30 cause of a lesson), I realized that the keys we gave the Elders had our apartment keys on them.

Good one, Sister Gilmour. You rock. Duh!!

So we called the Elders and they were always just as sweet as ever, even though they were in the middle of eating after hardly eating the whole day. Food is important to the Elders. :)

Haha, so they came to our little town and we swapped keys. But we were all really worried that members would see us, and we really didn't want that cause it was almost 10 at that point, and then with the Elders and Sisters together at Bahnhof at that time... uh. Not good. 

But we made it back without anyone spotting us. Thanks, Elders! 

Another funny one. So we have Elder Huby in our District now. He's from France. After spending an entire afternoon on our tour, he was feeling really bad cause they had hardly done any missionary work that day, naturally. We all want to do our best and we all want to be teaching. Luckily we had had 2 lessons that day. When they called us that night for whatever reason, I asked how he was doing now, and he was like, "I took a bath, so I feel much better now!". WE DIED LAUGHING! It was so funny! He is so funny! Haha, we need a good laugh sometimes :) And sometimes all it takes is a good bath, uh, Elder Huby? ;)

I'll hear from you all next week :) 

Lots of love from your Swiss missionary, 

Sister Chloe Gilmour
xx

Have a good think about the following:

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace

No comments:

Post a Comment